Small Business Innovation Research (OSD)
Office of Secretary of Defense, Director Defense Research and Engineering
A contract program for small business supporting Defense and commercial applications.
- OSD advertises interest in specific research topics.
- Small businesses offer proposals addressing topics.
- Successful proposals awarded Phase I support for 6 months' work.
- Successful Phase I projects compete for 2 years' additional support in Phase II.
Technology Maturity Level
Early developmental, some basic science.
Phase I, up to $100K; Phase II, up to $750K. There are no Phase III SBIR funds.
$10.3M in FY01.
Format Requirements for Topic Submission
USAMRMC submits relatively short (one to two pages) narratives describing proposed Phase I topics.
Criteria for Selecting Topics
- Cannot be used simply to fill gaps in normal program
- Must allow contractor reasonable degree of independence
- Must require contractor innovation
- Must fulfill a current military need.
Criteria for Selecting Proposals
- Military relevance
- Technical merit, innovation
- Potential for commercial exploitation
- Staff qualifications.
- Develop candidate topics for Phase I
- Review proposals for Phase I, Phase II
- Monitor projects during execution.
|USAMRMC closing date for topic ideas
|USAMRMC topic submissions to ARO
|Public solicitation opens
|Public solicitation closes
|USAMRMC closing date for proposal reviews
USAMRMC Recent History
Approximately nine topics, three Phase I awards per year.
Program has high visibility with Congress, financed by a tax on all 6.1 – 6.3 research funds.
- Anti-Ice Aptamers for Improved Red Blood Cell Storage
- Blast Mitigation Jacket for Training – three awards
- Analysis and Interpretation of Real-time Multi-parameter Biological Data