Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR, Army)
Army Research Office-Washington (ARO-W)
A contract program for small business supporting Defense and commercial applications.
- Army advertises interest in specific research topics.
- Small businesses offer proposals addressing topics.
- Successful proposals awarded Phase I support for 6 months' work.
- Successful Phase I projects compete for 2 years' additional support in Phase II.
Technology Maturity Level
Early developmental, some basic science.
Phase I, up to $70K; Phase II, up to $730K. [Some Phase I - Phase II transitional funds available. Some Phase III funds available for commercial development.]
$135M in FY01. 250 Phase I and 150 Phase II awards anticipated.
Format Requirements for Topic Submission
USAMRMC submits relatively short (one to two pages) narratives describing proposed Phase I topics.
Criteria for Selecting Topics
- Linked to the Objective Force, Army STOs
- Cannot be used simply to fill gaps in normal program
- Must allow contractor reasonable degree of independence
- Must require contractor innovation.
Criteria for Selecting Proposals
- Military relevance
- Technical merit, innovation
- Potential for commercial exploitation
- Staff qualifications.
- Develop candidate topics for Phase I
- Review proposals for Phase I, Phase II
- Monitor projects during execution
|USAMRMC closing date for topic ideas
|USAMRMC topic submissions to ARO
|Public solicitation opens
|Public solicitation closes
|USAMRMC closing date for proposal reviews
USAMRMC Recent History
Approximately 20 topics, 20 phase I and 10 Phase II awards per year.
Program has high visibility with Congress, financed by a tax on all 6.1 - 6.3 research funds.
- Maskless lithography system for generation of high-density DNA microarrays
- Design and characterization of a two-bag blood products lyophilization system
- General-purpose miniature thermometer for remote monitoring of soldiers
- Imaging modality to identify angiogenesis
- Development of a microbead whole-cell delivery system for oral immunization against traveler's diarrhea
- A new soluble powder for the sterilization of medical/dental instruments
- High-frequency optrode system for ambulatory EEG monitoring and wireless signal transmission
- Synthesis of combinatorial chemical libraries containing potential inhibitors of botulinum neurotoxin protease activity
- Virtual medical training system
- Development of a vaccine for the treatment and/or prevention of cancer
- Novel gene repair technology to generate serum carboxylesterase deficient mice
- Dry system for thawing frozen blood.